Continuity of Operations planning information for the College of Education: Click here

College of Education > Department of Curriculum and Instruction > Grad C&I > Manuals > Special Education and Reading IUG Manual

The Special Education and Curriculum and Instruction with Emphasis in Language and Literacy Education Integrated Undergraduate-­Graduate Program (SPLED/C I-­LL ED IUG) Student Manual


The Integrated Undergraduate-Graduate (IUG) program in Special Education (SPLED) and Curriculum and Instruction (C I) with an emphasis in Language and Literacy Education (LL ED) and certification as a Reading Specialist is designed to enable qualified undergraduates enrolled in the Special Education program to graduate in five years with a Bachelor's of Science (B.S.) in Special Education, a Master's of Education (M.Ed.) in Curriculum and Instruction, and preparation for certification in Special Education and as a Reading Specialist (K-­12). In addition to the field based experiences included in the SPLED program, students in the IUG will complete graduate level courses focusing on the extensive literature on teaching reading and will work in an on campus reading clinic with learners without identified special needs but who require additional support learning to read.

Who is the appropriate SPLED/C I-LL ED IUG student?

The five-­year, SPLED/C I-­LL ED IUG is an option for highly qualified students seeking certification to teach Special Education in Pennsylvania and who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher and a grade of B or better in SPLED 412. Students not intending to stay in Pennsylvania may also apply if they desire and meet admission requirements. 


Beginning during the application process, as well as subsequent to admission, students should communicate with both their SPLED program adviser and program adviser for the C I Reading Specialist program to ensure requirements of both programs are met. 

Reduced Course Load

EDPSY 421 and LL ED 595A may be double counted for the Reading Specialist as well as SPLED degrees. 

Tuition Charges

Undergraduate tuition rates will apply as long as the student is an undergraduate, unless the student receives financial support, such as an assistantship requiring payment of graduate tuition.