Continuity of Operations planning information for the College of Education: Click here

Instructional II Certification

Information about the PA Instructional II Certification offered to students of the Penn State College of Education.

The Pennsylvania Department of Education has developed a list of Frequently Asked Questions related to the Level II certification requirements.

Instructional II certification in Pennsylvania can be obtained following the completion of at least three years of satisfactory teaching including an approved induction program in the public schools of Pennsylvania and the completion of twenty-four post-baccalaureate credits in any area that will enhance the professional development of an educator.

Therefore, effective September 1, 2011, individuals applying for Level II conversion must have earned at least 6 post-baccalaureate credits of collegiate study in the area of Inclusive Classrooms and/or in the area of Standards Aligned Systems (SAS).

These credits may be:

  • completed at any four-year, fully-accredited institution through resident instruction, continuing education, distance education, correspondence study, or World Campus programs.
  • either graduate or undergraduate level courses, as well as Pennsylvania Department of Education approved "in-service" workshops and training programs sponsored by county intermediate units for this purpose. Course work completed at community colleges is not acceptable.

The following website includes a course catalog of offerings through Penn State's World Campus.

Educators interested in pursuing an advanced degree or certification program through resident education at Penn State should contact the specific program area for details on the requirements and the application process.

Educators interested in pursuing selected courses through resident education for their professional development should on enroll as "non-degree" graduate students through Penn State's Graduate School.

Although it is possible to obtain Instructional II certification after three years of successful teaching with 24 post-baccalaureate credits, the validity of the Instructional I certificate has been extended to cover six years of satisfactory teaching.


The application for Instructional II certification is obtained through a school district superintendent's or intermediate unit director's office. The form must be completed and accompanied by a copy of a teacher's current, valid certificate, and an official transcript showing the course work completed. The superintendent/director signs the form attesting to the years of experience and will usually send the packet to the Pennsylvania Department of Education in Harrisburg for issuance of the certificate. Currently a $100.00 Postal Money Order must accompany this packet.

Generally, experiences teaching in out-of-state schools are not considered "approved time" accumulated toward the three years of required teaching necessary in Pennsylvania for the Instructional II certificate.

Additional questions should be directed to a school superintendent/director's office or the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of Teacher Preparation and Certification, 333 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333. (717) 787-3356.

Act 48 of 1999 requires all Pennsylvania educators who have been issued "initial" any certificates since June 1, 1987 to establish professional development plans every five years. These plans are to include additional continuing education or related experiences equivalent to 180 hours of professional development, such as six credits of approved college coursework, six credits of continuing professional education courses, 180 clock hours of continuing professional education, or any combination of collegiate studies, continuing professional education courses or other programs, activities or learning experiences equivalent to 180 hours. For the purposes of calculating hours and credits, one credit of collegiate study or continuing professional education course is equivalent to 30 hours of continuing professional education. Educators holding master's degrees may volunteer to develop these plans.

Penn State is an approved provider of professional development coursework, conferences and other related activities.
The following site includes details on reporting the completion of professional development activities completed at Penn State:

For additional details, please contact the PDE Bureau of Teaching and Learning Support at (717) 772-4944, or review the Act 48 Professional Education Plan Guidelines: