Continuity of Operations planning information for the College of Education: Click here

College of Education > Faculty and Staff Resources > Guidelines for creating flyers and other promotional materials

Guidelines for creating flyers and other promotional materials

This page includes guidelines and policies related to a number of publications that are printed (or sent electronically) both within and independent of the College Relations Office in Penn State's College of Education.

If you are creating a flyer or other promotional material, there are some things you need to include:

  • Penn State College of Education mark. To get the graphic, click here and then click on the link to the College of Education. You will need to log in to Box using your Penn State access account information.
  • Legal statements: ADA alternative-format statement; statement of nondiscrimination; and sometimes ADA accommodation statement. These can be found here.
  • U.Ed. Number. You get this by sending your flyer or other promotional material to Annemarie Mountz at so she can make sure it meets University policy (including the above bullets), and quality standards. Once it does, she will assign a unique U.Ed. number, which you need to incorporate into the flyer or other promotional material.
  • QUESTIONS? Contact Annemarie Mountz at .

More detailed information about the above bullets can be found below.

Some Commonly Asked Questions and Guidelines:

This page includes guidelines and policies related to a number of publications that are printed both within and independent of the College Relations Office in Penn State's College of Education. Those in the College creating printed promotional material can find information concerning U.Ed. numbers and Penn State style guidelines below.


For information about this page, please e-mail Annemarie Mountz, the College's MarCom Representative, at

**NOTE: This information pertains only to printed and electronic promotional materials as listed below. Classroom instructional materials, scholarly journals, research papers, internal memoranda, and forms do not need U.Ed. numbers.

What is a U.Ed. Number and what materials require it?

Publications and printed marketing materials that need U.Ed. numbers (and the requisite reviews and approvals explained below) include, but are not limited to:

  • annual reports
  • booklets
  • brochures
  • calendars
  • catalogs
  • flyers
  • invitations
  • magazines
  • newsletters
  • posters
  • recruitment materials
  • schedules of events
  • view books

U.Ed. numbers, established under the former University Editor Representative System, are used to denote publications and marketing materials that have been properly reviewed, written, designed and prepared, and approved for use by a member of the Marketing Communicators (MarCom) Network. The MarCom Network is established as an area of responsibility under the Office of Strategic Communications in line with Policy AD61 — University Marketing and Communications. MarCom representatives are appointed by their chancellors, deans or senior administrators to ensure that marketing planning and practices are carried out in line with University policy and established guidelines. Annemarie Mountz is the MarCom rep for the College of Education. Contact her with any questions, and to have your printed materials reviewed and assigned a U.Ed. number.

The U.Ed. Number serves several purposes:

  • To indicate that the publication has been reviewed and meets University publication standards. These standards can be found in the University Editorial Style Manual.
  • To create a record of the promotional materials produced by certain departments within the University, along with the expense and purpose of these publications.
  • To identify the unit that produced the publication.
  • Any publications used for recruitment purposes, or included along with other recruitment materials, including publications directed to undergraduate, graduate, and continuing and distance education audiences.
  • General information pieces and view books
  • Posters and flyers
  • Newsletters, periodicals, and magazines
  • Handbooks and catalogs
  • Calendars of events (printed for distribution)
  • Fundraising materials
  • Programs and invitations for special or sponsored events
  • Annual reports
  • Maps 

What are "non-promotional materials"?

(These DO NOT require a U.Ed. Number)

  • Student-produced publications for student organizations
  • Classroom/instructional material
  • Forms
  • Research papers
  • Scholarly journals
  • Internal memoranda
  • Please alert the MarCom Rep, Annemarie Mountz by e-mail to when you are in the planning stages of the document, so it can be planned in the schedule accordingly. Please allow 2-3 days for review of any publications greater than five pages. Significantly longer publications, such as newsletters, may require a week. Please incorporate the review process into your timeline.
  • The edited proof and an assigned U.Ed. Number will be returned to you. If subsequent proofs are necessary, you will be notified.
  • Make sure the U.Ed. Number is added to the document along with the appropriate University statements and any other editorial revisions.

Guidelines for Obtaining a U.Ed. Number

Where and how should I use the Penn State mark?

Penn State policy AD61, University Publications and Identity Program, states the following concerning the use of the Penn State Mark:

  • Individual unit logos generally are not permitted. Exceptions and special needs for unit identities will be handled through the Office of the Vice President for Strategic Communications.
  • No logos, word marks, or identity symbols incorporating the name of the unit or University may be developed without prior approval from the Office of the Vice President for Strategic Communications.

Information about the University’s institutional graphic identity system, and guidelines for using the University Mark, can be found at online. Guidelines for using the Intercollegiate Athletics logo and other symbols is available here.

Proper use of the Penn State Mark is one of the criteria for issuance of a U.Ed. number. Contact Annemarie Mountz at with any questions.

Which statements should appear in my publications?

There are two main statements that should appear in Penn State promotional material.

The ADA accommodation statement must be printed in any publication that describes a specific program or special event (except formal invitations). It should be included in the section describing how to register for the program and how to locate further information. A contact person's name and telephone number or email address should be provided in the statement where indicated.

All university publications (except formal invitations) must carry a form of the nondiscrimination statement. In general, the complete text of the statement should always be used. The shortened version may be used in the case of postcards and flyers where space is limited. Other exceptions to the use of the complete text are to be made by the MarCom Representative.

Because the Affirmative Action Office updates these statements from time to time, it is best always to get the statement wording from that website.